Beat Fill in the Play's MIDI Sequencer

Play’s Beat Fill functionality would be incredibly useful for controlling external hardware (e.g., drum machines) via MIDI.

What is the problem?

Play’s Beat Fill functionality does not work when using the MIDI sequencer.

What do you want to achieve?

For Play’s Beat Fill functionality to work in the MIDI sequencer.

Are there any workarounds?

Copypaste from a regular track to a midi one.

Any links to related discussions?

No.

Any references to other products?

No.

4 Likes

There’s a workaround: copypaste from a regular track to a midi one, but I also think it should just work out of box. I guess, it’s the most requested thing from the release.

3 Likes

Oh really? I’ve never thought to try that. Definitely agree it would be a cool function to have but if you can just copy/paste over that’s a solid workaround in the meantime. Thanks for the tip!

1 Like

Copy and paste from Audio to MIDI isn’t possible now, but I believe that will be added on a firmware update soon.

1 Like

Hi, thanks for your wish. Would the copy/paste workaround be OK for now? If yes, I would decline this one for now… It should be available in the next updates, very soon :wink: Otherwise, since Fill only works with “preselected” Kick, Snare, Hihat… what would you expect to be selected on the MIDI side?

2 Likes

Hi! On the MIDI side, I would personally prefer that the steps be filled with a specific note on each track (e.g., every filled note on Track 1 is C3, every filled note on Track 2 note is C#3, etc.) and then being able to edit the MIDI notes as I please.
IMO, this would be preferable than needing to switch back-and-forth and copy notes between the Audio and the MIDI side (though I can imagine that functionality being very helpful in other situations).

Hi @hisswave, thanks for your comment, but someone else will prefer that each track corresponds to MIDI Channel and not Note. Therefore it’s not possible to satisfy everyone. I will decline this for now and hope that copy/pasting will make the users happy (like the comments above prove).

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 7 days. New replies are no longer allowed.