Are duplicated patterns linked?

I’m experiencing something unexpected and was wondering if you straighten me out. After duplicating a pattern, say pattern 1 to pattern 2, when I mute a track on pattern 1, it is muted on pattern 2 (and vice versa). Is this expected behaviour? If it is, can this be disabled?

Thanks

Scott

3 Likes

yes, this is the expected behavior, mutes are per projects, not per pattern :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Yes exactly, you mute tracks. All samples/instruments on that track are muted, for all patterns.

2 Likes

Thanks for your responses. This seems like a missed opportunity. Tracker would be so much more versatile if mutes were variable at the pattern level.

2 Likes

There’s a workaround if u don’t want to mute/u mute patterns live while performing: U can dublicate the pattern, then delete the columns you want to be muted or delete the pattern ‘block’ in the song arrangement.

2 Likes

It would be awesome to delete blocks in the song mode to mute specific parts of a pattern only in that pattern.

3 Likes

Agreed.

I’m with you on this. I came here specifically to say “What a wasted opportunity” too. I finally got around to playing with song mode, and experienced the same “head scratching” as you did. Why on earth would you DELETE a track in song mode GLOBALLY, when to MUTE it would make things amazingly versatile? If it was as you (and I) expected, you’d be able to add Pattern 1 to Slot 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 etc… and play the SAME pattern in each slot except with different combinations of MUTED tracks.
The DELETE button in Song mode should MUTE/UNMUTE the track, not delete it.
This feature would make music production so much more fun!

On similar devices, I generally play with a pattern until all tracks are full… then when arranging a song, I use the same pattern over and over again, Slot 1, mute ALL tracks except one, then slowly introduce (unmude) new tracks in new “slots” as the song progresses, then slowly mute them all as the song ends. This way you can edit 1 pattern, and reuse it throughout the entire song, the combinations are in the hundreds. (None of this “copy a pattern to a new pattern”, then mute it in the song mode workaround… thats a LOT of work, especially a pain when you edit Pattern 1 slightly, then want to make the same change to what now has to be Pattern 2 etc… pain and wasted time/frustration)
(I can’t believe how passionate I am about this feature!) lol please forgive me.

I’m truly baffled that it’s done this way, and disappointed that such an obvious feature has been missed.