PE Play MIDI sequencer issues, some basic q's

OK so bought a PE Play off eBay, guy ripped me off, 3 days later OG units cheaper than what he sold me his scratched screen which he omitted to tell me existed.
Returned for refund and got new unit yesterday cheaper than what he sold me, he knew the + was coming out so took advantage.
OK enough of my woes, I had already understood how the unit works, it integrated really well with my Nord 3P Drum and I have some really nice movement, after getting my newer unit yesterday it appears I have ran into some issues.

I’ve read the manual but do not appear to have answers to simple aspects of the MIDI CC sequencing.
1st of all, how many CC values can 1 step contain?
Every time I change 1 step value, it is changing my whole sequence step values, is this normal? I need to know as I may have to return the unit if this is the case.
Also when using Randomize function, I dial in my required setting, 2 octaves per step.
It only works if I have that step pressed, otherwise my step is does not adhere to what I input the the values.

I am really familiar with sequencers, I have a PE SEQ, love it but the Play seems to be able to have better ability for generative music, which is why I went for the Play in the 1st place.
The + version is not needed as I only want the sequencer aspects, not interested in synth engines so the saving is substantial for me.

If I am missing the most simple of things, please let me know, I just need to understand as I have scoured the net and found nothing so far.
Fwiw I have been wanting one of these for over a year, so all help would be greatly appreciated.

T.I.A

EDIT I do have the latest FW too.

If you set CC on a step it won’t revert to the previous value on the next step automagically, you’'ll have to revert it yourself. You can use the No Note setting for that, just enter a step, select it and turn the Note knob to left untill it will show No Note on the display. A No Note step won’t send notes but will send CCs.
Play just sends CC values you set on steps and nothing more. So if you send CC on a step it will ‘stay there’ till you revert it back by sending another value for that CC on a different step.

Regarding randomize, when you dial in randomization settings on steps you are in the preview mode. You may want to apply changes by pressing Save if you like how randomization sounds. After that randomization will be printed down into steps. If you want to generate a new set of randomized values (before saving randomization), press Shift + Save.

1 Like

Hi @snake.plissken, welcome to Backstage!

I’ll do my best to answer your questions.

1st of all, how many CC values can 1 step contain?

Each step can hold up to CC values, along with the Note, Pitchbend, Velocity and Program Change.

Every time I change 1 step value, it is changing my whole sequence step values, is this normal?

My guess to what you are experiencing is that the play is only changing that one CC that you are adjusting but is still sending out all of the CC messages assigned to that step. So say I’m starting from a blank project, I put one step in and adjust CC 74 to a value of 60, then the play will only send out the value 60 on CC 74. Now if on the same step I start adjusting CC12, the play will change only CC12, but will send out value 60 on CC74 each time you adjust CC12. I hope that makes sense.

Also when using Randomize function, I dial in my required setting, 2 octaves per step.
It only works if I have that step pressed, otherwise my step is does not adhere to what I input the the values.

That doesn’t seem right. You do have to “save” your randomize before you move to another parameter. Could you write out a “step by step” breakdown of what you are doing please? It will help to understand better if your unit is the issue or if it’s just down to a misunderstanding of the Random function.

OK thank you, I wasn’t saving my randomize so will now, I understand the preview so my unit is not faulty.
This explains why I could not do as I wanted, much appreciated.