Start step numbering choice (1 or 0) for decimal/regular mode

We would like to see an option in the config to choose if the start step should be 1 or 0 in decimal / regular numbering mode.

What is the problem?

Currently in regular/decimal mode. The steps of patterns start at 1, without a way to change that. People who come from Amiga Trackers like Protracker or Octamed may prefer to start with 0.

What do you want to achieve?

It would be nice to have an option in the config to define the start to either be 1 or 0.

Are there any workarounds?

No

Any links to related discussions?

Any references to other products?

See Protracker or Octamed on the Amiga

7 Likes

(I have moved this comment to its own topic. It can be moved to #wishlist:draft-wishes if @chris.silcock or anyone else wants to propose it as a feature request.)

Hi, just a question: could this be defined in the configuration of the tracker? I get the point of the request, but I must admit that I quite like starting on step 1, so, adding the option to start either on 0 or on 1 could make everybody happier? Maybe I’ll change my mind after trying the start at 0 :laughing:

1 Like

The reason for 00 is so every 4th note drops on the corresponding number.

I.e. 4, 8, 12, 16 etc… rather than odd numbers.

On a normal sequencer you wouldn’t drop your 1st 4th note on position 5 (line 05)

It also makes finding block positions logical. The middle of a 128 line block is 64, then 32 and so on…

All the Amiga trackers start on 00 (without hexadecimal) and correct me if i am wrong but surely the whole idea and inspiration for the tracker came from that scene.

Cheers

3 Likes

Yeah this would be welcomed

2 Likes

i took the liberty to fill out the wish, so it reflects the desired functionality / feature.

5 Likes

Thank you Sandroid, i appreciate that

this would be cool

2 Likes

@here Thanks for your wish. It’s now ready for voting :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Nice, this has now been added to functionality, currently only on the tracker mini i have just received.

I have no doubt this will be in the next big tracker update.

I do have one niggle tho… can you make it 00, 01, 02 etc…

Bit weird just 0, 1, 2 etc…

You know it makes sense! Good work Polyend, loving the mini. Line start 0 is a game changer for us Amiga boys.

1 Like

@here I’m pleased to let you know Tracker 1.7 firmware update is available and fulfills your wish! Please let us know if you’re happy with the solution :wink: Once again, thanks for helping us make the Tracker better for everyone.

4 Likes

Yes !!! Nice one Polyend

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 10 days. New replies are no longer allowed.