Copy Pattern without needing to switch to a new Pattern

To create e.g. a variation on the Tracker, Patterns must be copied with all the events and you must actually move to a new Pattern to paste them. It would be incredibly welcome if we could just copy/paste from slot to slot in Pattern view. It would make both creation and live performance much smoother and more flexible.

What is the problem?

Duplicating a Pattern (i.e., copy/pasting to a new slot) is currently quite cumbersome and intrusive to the creative process.

What do you want to achieve?

Duplicate Patterns with minimal effort and fuss.

Are there any workarounds?

Duplicating (copy/pasting) Patterns is possible, but not without disruption to the workflow, so no. :slight_smile:

Any links to related discussions?

No.

Any references to other products?

The Play can copy patterns easily:

Maschine probably offers the best example of this workflow enhancement.

3 Likes

There is a Copy Pattern and Paste Pattern button (Pattern page > More). But it still needs a pattern switching. Having the option to create a duplicate of the existing pattern in the new unoccupied slot sounds like a reasonable thing for the #wishlist
I’d vote for it :wink:

1 Like

Thanks for responding, Piotr. As you say, there already is the Copy and Paste Pattern buttons but the operation still requires switching Patterns.

Thread edited to be on the wishlist. I’m happy to elaborate on how I’d implement this if it would be useful.

That would eliminate the need of going back and foward in the menu with “more” to paste the pattern

@Mr36 thank you for contributing to the #wishlist. Please check Writing a good feature request. It is important to follow this guideline amnd to use the same template all wishes are using, to ensure good quality of feature requests.

Thanks for pointing this out, @icaria36. It seems the template is only available when starting new topics in the draft wishes area and not directly via that guidelines post (perhaps it could/should be added).

I’ll copy/paste and amend the post here.

1 Like

Ah, I see what happened now…

The worflow wished here is the same that the Play already has, right?

Yep, that would do the trick, I think. :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

@here thanks for contributing! The wish is open for voting :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Yes, there is a workaround to achieve this, but it stops the music when changing to a new pattern. Some kind of clone function as seen in LSDJ would significally improve the workflow

what about doing it in Song mode? You can copy patterns there without stopping.

How? I know you can copy/paste events per track from one to another, but not full Patterns to create a new duplicate Pattern in a new slot.

I’m at work so I don’t have it in front of me but I think if you create a new blank pattern in Song mode, you can copy the tracks into it correct? Wouldn’t that be the same as copying a pattern? Can’t remember if you have to stop playback to do this. I’ll try it out later.

I don’t think that will do what is being asked for here. That will just create a new slot with an existing pattern. I don’t think its possible to create a new pattern which is a copy of an existing pattern.

This was my thinking too and, as you say, is not what this request is about.

You can create a new slot and then (while looping the current slot) change the new slot to the next empty pattern. You can then copy the tracks of the pattern you want to copy into that slot. You can copy multiple tracks at once if you wish to do that. When you change back to pattern mode, switch to the new pattern that you just created and you will have a copy of the original pattern playing. You don’t need to stop playback if you do it like this.

Not as fast as cloning a pattern, but in this way you can also easily combine tracks of different patterns into a new one.

Thanks for this. If I’m understanding correctly, it does kind of achieve a similar goal, but it’s a very different workflow and, for me at least, sounds painful (considering wanting to do this many times in a session).

Just a simple “duplicate this pattern to that pattern pad/slot” function is what I (I think, we) want.

1 Like

One way this could be FAST is once you click the “copy” button, the label changes from “copy” to “copy to X”, where X can be changed with the scroll wheel or button pad.

Copy → scroll wheel to pattern number → “copy” button again. Pattern is copied.

:pray:

In that case, why not HOLD the copy button and dial in the new pattern number?

Yes that’s a great idea