Change Instrument via MIDI in Synth Mode

Allow changing of instruments in MIDI Synth Mode.

What is the problem?

The Polyend Tracker can only use a single instrument at a time when in Synth-Mode. Instruments have to be changed by Hand on the Tracker.

What do you want to achieve?

Send a midi message (probably Program Change), to switch Instrument via MIDI.

Are there any workarounds?

Switching instruments by hand.

Any links to related discussions?

Any references to other products?

Akai S1000 maybe? In fact any hardware sampler.

3 Likes

Hey @callistixrs , thanks for the wish. I’ve taken the liberty and changed the wording AND (most importantly) made sure it is only one wish.

Switching Instruments and multi-timbrality are two entirely different beasts to implement.
So to keep the wishes focused and concise, it’s best to not put multiple features into one wish.

If you are so kind and if you would like to see multi-timbrality as a feature, could you open a second wish? :heart:

Added it here: Support for multitimbrality

1 Like

Hi @callistixrs , thanks for your wish. It’s accepted and ready for voting! :slight_smile:

1 Like

An easy solution for Polyend to implement in firmware would be this:

If the NOTE column is selected, the external MIDI device will change note values, as it does currently.

If INSTR column is selected, the instrument number would change according to MIDI note entered. That way, if you have a drum kit loaded over a span of many instruments, a MIDI device could trigger them to record beats live or by step.

What do you think? :thinking:

1 Like

It’s still unclear to me what is this wish about exactly (I have voted for it though as it looks useful any way).
For now, only one instrument can be used in the MIDI synth mode.
Is this about just switching that single instrument via MIDI IN or does this also cover the multiple instruments case? For example, when the tracker receives Program Change 1 on Channel 1 and Program Change 2 on Channel 2 simultaneously will there be two different instruments playing notes coming from corresponding channels?

This is about changing the single instrument via MIDI.

Multi-timbrality (multiple instruments) has been suggested at the same time, but has been declined as of now:

Thanks for pointing this out though, i just noticed the title was slightly wrong :laughing:

Oops. I thought that wish was solely about splitting instruments by note ranges (not by MIDI PC/Channel).

Well yes, but i guess it’s a little bit more nuanced.
Multi-Timbrality requires playback of multiple different voices/instruments, in order to split it across a range.