Ability to combine multiple chance options

What is the problem?

“Chance” can be only used with one action at a time. We have only one layer of live randomization which can be limiting. “Randomize” setting allows some additional options, but it doesn’t provide live randomization.

What do you want to achieve?

The ability to combine multiple “Chance” settings. For instance, select “Play Step” action and use 70% chance, then select “Random Sample” action and use “Play 1 Skip 1”.

Are there any workarounds?

Make longer sequences out of short ones, maybe – to apply different chances to the same notes in different positions/pages. But such chances won’t be applied at the same time, obviously. And it won’t be convenient to handle.
Also won’t work with already long sequences.

Any links to related discussions?

Any references to other products?

M8 allows at least two different randomizations per note. More with its “tables”.

11 Likes

Thank you, just a couple of clarifying questions:

Does “bake in” mean that a randomization has been applied already and it’s now static?

Are you referring to “Chance/Action”, “Randomizations/Randomization type” or both?

hey,

as it was mentioned in the second section of the wish, the focus is on the “chance” setting here which randomizes sounds of a step each time it plays. for now, only one “chance” setting can be applied which is not enough. “randomize” knob allows player to find a starting point and stick with it, but it doesn’t randomize step each time a step plays, obviously.

“Bake in” means that current (active/live/“chance”) randomization settings are applied to a step, so user could tweak the “chance” knob further, creating another active randomization to be applied at the same time. Basically, it’s about layering this setting. If user will be able to switch between such layers and tweak previously applied “chance” later, great. If won’t, it’s not a big deal: benefits of having more “chances” at the same time is more important than tweaking previously applied chances.

Do you mean that the sample could be rendered or flattened? I’d love that workflow.

@RealTinyPenguin,

I don’t think it’s possible and I don’t know if there’s a real need for it here. For example, user wants to apply “humanize” and “panning” chance, so each time a step plays, it’s a different stereo image and slightly different micromovements. For now, it’s not possible. These are two different settings that should be applied at the same time, no pre-renders needed, at least in this case.

Multiple “chance” settings (or a workaround) is my only urgent whish for the Play.
Really missing that too.

Wouid the workflow you envision go like this?

1. Select “Play Step” action and use 70% chance.
  2. Select “Random Sample” action and use “Play 1 Skip 1”
  3. etc for the rest of actions available, if you wish.

Side comment: conceptually, perhaps it makes more sense to give more importance to the Action that to the Chance. You are more likely to think first what effect you wants i.e. Cut Off and then think the chance you want rather than the other way around. However, the hierarchy of Chance first is printed on the Play, and no software can change that. :slight_smile:

yeah, kind of. user could press some button or a shortcut, so the device could save current “chance” settings. screen would show that some “chance” was applied previously (little icon when such step is selected?), and at this point user could repeat the process with the “chance” knob for other settings.

1 Like

Thank you, @ambivalence. I have removed the “baked in” language because I think it is unnecessary and makes the wish more difficult to understand (at least for a couple of us here). I hope the current version explains the wish you’re after.

hey, so what did you decide? is it the expected feature? seems like it’s all about trackers now. high hopes Play won’t be forgotten.

hey, team.

any news on this? the wish was originally posted back in January, I also mentioned this post a month ago in September. would be great to know, if it’s the expected feature or should we just forget about it, as the wish sits in drafts branch since May.

It is ready to be reviewed and sits in the review queue. Please insert patience here → . :blush:

1 Like

@here Thanks for your contribution, the wish is now ready for voting! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This is a must have, Play+ to the next level, it would be the best feature. We need you vote please!!!

Just a +1 from me here. I’m coming from a Digitakt land where the closest parallel to “chance” is the trig conditions, which are purely about when/why a note will fire. There’s a separate avenue to “chance”-like actions that come from targeting track parameters with one of 2 LFOs - i.e. random, free-running LFO targeting sample slot is like the Chance → Random sample in folder. Play collapses these into one control that is both probability of triggering OR affecting the sound, so it feels quite restrictive.

I don’t have a clean conception of how this would change in the UI, just explaining how my brain expected/hoped it would work based on past experience.

1 Like

At fiRst, when I bought Play+ I thought that multiple chance options was the logical workflow. It makes a lot of sense for a sound to get more that one chance option, so I was very disappointed to see that you can only have one chance…

If polyend has made this wish available is because is technically possible to implement so I encourage all the backstage members to vote this wish to get ay to the next level.

2 Likes